Thursday, October 6, 2011

The misfit. The rebel. The troublemaker.

I am not much into music, but when I wanted to buy a music player for my sister and my dad, I bought an iPod. I couldn't afford the data plans when the iPhone debuted. By the time I could, I'd turned into a Linux loving geek which led me to getting myself an Android phone. There is no denying how I wanted my phone to work like. Even as a kid in India in the late 90s I knew how an Apple computer looked like. I've not owned an Apple product yet, but I know the influence of half the gadgets I want or have or have used.

I'm not an Apple fan by any means, but it's not difficult to have a sense of respect for Steve Jobs. A good start is to watch the excellent movie Pirates of the Silicon Valley. The movie ends at the point where Steve Jobs came back to Apple years after being forced out. To get a sense of what happened next, read this article. And then this. And of course, this video. Few people have changed the way people behave, live, and use technology as much as he has.

He influenced the direction of technology for the last 12-13 years (that I experienced) and I'm pretty sure his influence will last the next 5 at the very least...

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."

No comments:

Post a Comment